Halloween Night. Monday, Oct. 31. The Grand Hall and all of 701 Whaley. Giant bash to benefit 701 CCA! LIMITED ADVANCE DISCOUNT TICKETS ON SALE NOW:
We are looking for volunteers, free Admission! http://
Imagine: hundreds of fellow art lovers, a concept art costume contest w/local celebrity judges including Mayor Benjamin, Wim Roefs, USC Art Dept. Chair Brad Collins, Eva Moore of the Free Times, Otis Taylor of The State, The Shop Tart, Larry Hembree, Morihiko, and more! Judging will take place 8-10pm at the event; be sure to sign in at the “Judges’ Lounge” by the Grand Hall staircase to be considered.
Plus: Food Truck Food Court; full cash bar; free Pop-Up Studio photo portraits sponsored byGreenhaven Preserve, Sid & Nancy and Forrest Clonts Studio; Troll 2 (the “best worst movie ever”) courtesy of The Nick; decor pieces by artists like USC professor Kara Gunter, Undefined Magazine’s “Emerging Artist of the Year” Michaela Pilar Brown, & more; a fab ghost story salon upstairs by Jasper Magazine; the SC Biennial Part 1 exhibition, and more! 701 CCA wants YOU to be a part of it.
Don’t deny this humble, delightful non-profit contemporary art center the one thing it wants most on Halloween night: to party the night away with you and your amazing, costume-savvy brains.
There are so many remarkable Columbia, SC entities colliding to make this fundraiser bash happen that it barely fits into the building at historic 701 Whaley — much less into an email. Hold onto your hats:
- FOOD TRUCK FOOD COURT – The 701 Whaley parking lot will be open to the public for a special, Halloween Night version of this mobile restaurant happening! Party ticket not required to buy savory treats at Bone-In Artisan BBQ on Wheels, Pawley’s Mobile Eats, 2Fat2Fly, Alfresco Mobilista, & NY’s Famous Hot Dogs.
- CAMPY NICKELODEON HORROR FILM – The Nick will be screening the film Troll 2 — the “best worst movie” ever — on loop for party guests in the event space next to the Grand Hall.
- LOCAL ARTISTS’ CREATIONS – We’ve asked some of Columbia’s most notorious art makers to riff on “creepy” for our event decor.
- HORRIBLY HIP DJs
DJs Will Flourance & Bakari Lebby of WUSC 90.5 and @SweetVans fame will create a DJ sandwich around DJ Irv Thompson!7-8:30ish: DJ Will Flourance (@tookytooky)
8:30ish-10:30ish: DJ Irv Thompson
10:30ish-midnightish: DJ Bakari Lebby (@bakarilebby)
- “BLACK CARPET” PARTY PORTRAIT PHOTOS sponsored by Sid + Nancy in Five Points! Debbie McDaniel keeps Cola stylish, affordably.
- “GREEN CASKET” PARTY PORTRAIT PHOTOS sponsored by Greenhaven Preserve! Ever wanted to be photographed in an environmentally friendly burial vessel? This will be your moment.
- JASPER MAGAZINE GHOST STORY SALON with local literati, upstairs in the Olympia Room 7-10pm! Ghost story-telling in a luminous, candle-lit chamber:
7:30 Kendal Turner7:45 Kim Harne8:00 Catalina Keller8:45 Steve and Crystal Harley9:00 Coralee Harris9:15 Ed Madden9:30 Kristine Hartvigsen9:45 Darion McCloud10:00 Robert Michalski10:15 Michael Krajewski
- COSTUME CONTEST with esteemed judges for Best Group Costume, Best Concept Art Costume, Best Individual Costume, and Best Non-Sexy Costume. Judging will take place 8-10pm at the event; be sure to sign in at the “Judges’ Lounge” by the Grand Hall staircase to be considered. Prizes include a free class pass to City Yoga, gift certificates to Hip Wa Zee, Drip Coffee, Gervais & Vine, and more!
- IN THE 701 CCA GALLERY – The South Carolina Biennial Exhibition, Part 1, a juried, statewide survey of notable, emerging SC contemporary artists: http://www.701cca.org/event/south-carolina-biennial-2011/
- 12 TICKETS FOR $100 in advance; discount presale tix are limited. We encourage restaurant staffs, offices, nonprofit orgs, college classes & creative groups to do group costumes! Great for team building. And fun!
- FREE TICKETS w/NEW 701 CCA MEMBERSHIPS – New $25 one-year Individual Membership = 1 ticket; new $50 Family Memberships = 2 tickets!
Invite your networks using our Facebook event invite page:
Bonus: Enter Goodwill’s Style Spooktacular photo contest on Facebook for a chance to win the holy grail of social media contests: an Apple iPad! We encourage you to shop for your costume at Goodwill, our cross-promotional partner for Halloween 2011, not just because it’s the green choice, but because it’s really quite fun, as well.
Original decor pieces by local ARTISTS:
Jenny Mae Hill
Reno Gooch & Thomas Crouch
Michaela Pilar Brown & Eric Tory Brown, Brown Studios
Costume Contest JUDGES:
Wim Roefs, 701 CCA Board Chair
Steve Benjamin, Mayor of Columbia, SC
Elise Partin, Mayor of Cayce, SC
Brad Collins, Chair of the USC Art Department
Mandi Engram, Marketing Director, Columbia Convention and Visitors Bureau
Debbie McDaniel, owner of Revente, Sid + Nancy, and Revente’s Last Call
Doreen Sullivan, President, Post No Bills creative agency
Melissa Ligon, Principal, Crescendo Advertising
Kristin Morris, WACH-Fox
Anne Postic, Publisher, The Shop Tart
Eva Moore, News Editor, Free Times
Otis Taylor, Jr., The State Newspaper
Bruce Lawrence Jr., Partner, Strategic Cents Consultants
Vanessa Driscoll, The Southern Greenie & Carolina Green Fair
Larry Hembree, a.k.a. “Butch,” The Nickelodeon
Christine Johnson, Executive Director, South Carolina Equality
Robin Dial, Columbia Design League
Wes Donehue, Pub Politics Co-Founder; Senate Republican Caucus
Ken May, Executive Director, SC Arts Commission
Kirkland Smith, Contemporary Artist; One Columbia board member
Morihiko Nakahara, Conductor, SC Philharmonic
Joel Samuels, Coach, Columbia QuadSquad Rollergirls
Annabelle Laroque, Owner & Designer, LaRoque
And featuring our Grand Vizir of Horror Films, Andy Smith, Executive Director of The Nickelodeon Theatre!
Our HALLOWEEN SPONSORS are amazing:
PROFESSIONAL SERVICES SPONSORS
Forrest Clonts Studio photography
Karen Williford Design
Idea Balloons web design
“BLACK CARPET” PORTRAIT SPONSOR
Sid + Nancy
“GREEN CASKET” PORTRAIT SPONSOR
BAR LOGISTICS SPONSOR
Sips Shots Shaken Stirred
Budweiser of Columbia
VOLUNTEER HOSPITALITY SPONSOR
SIGNAGE PRINTING SPONSOR
Signs Now Columbia
SIGNAGE DESIGN SPONSOR
Shanika Pichey, Partner, Self-Created
JUDGES’ LOUNGE SPONSORS
The Estate Liquidators of South Carolina a.k.a. The EstateSaleGuys
The Gourmet Shop
Rosewood Market & Deli
Hunter-Gatherer Brewery & Ale House
FILM SCREENING MAGIC SPONSOR
The Nickelodeon Theatre
CANDID PHOTOGRAPHY SPONSOR
Thomas Hammond Photography
AUDIO LOGISTICS SPONSOR
The Jam Room Recording Studio
COSTUME CONTEST PRIZE SPONSORS
Gervais & Vine
Following us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook
*Want to sponsor a costume contest prize? Let’s partner and promo the pants off of your business.
P.S. We support our fellow arts organizations in their Halloween traditions! Go to Carpe Noctem, the Black and White Ball, and the Animal Mission party. Take in all that creative inspiration, revel in it, then release it in the form of a mind-blowing costume for Oct. 31 at 701 CCA.
Together we make Columbia ever better. Thank you to everyone who supports 701 Center for Contemporary Art!
Watch the TV segment that Pretty Penny Productions llc. just released to promote the Halloween Night Costume Bash at 701 CCA! Featuring Goodwill Industries of Upstate/Midlands South Carolina and their “Style Spooktacular” Facebook costume contest. We are so excited about all of the talent coming together to make this party happen on Monday, Oct. 31!