Visual Arts Exhibition Opportunities
ONGOING PROPOSAL REVIEWS
Although all exhibitions at the 701 Center for Contemporary Art are professionally curated, proposal reviews take place on an ongoing basis. The center accepts proposals for solo exhibitions and installations and group exhibitions and artist residencies. Proposals are reviewed every three to four months.
Proposals should consist of:
• Digital portfolio (10 – 20 images) that can be in USB, CD or DVD format (both mac and PC formatted discs accepted – still images MUST be saved at a minimum of 1000 pixels wide at 72 dpi and in JPEG format.)
• Checklist to accompany portfolio including titles, dimensions, dates completed and media.
• Artist Statement describing current work and proposed project
• Artist Resume
• Supporting documentation (reviews, articles, etc) optional
Mail or Email to:
701 Center for Contemporary Art
Attn: Proposal Review
PO Box 12822
Columbia, SC 29211
Portfolios or any other form of actual artwork are not accepted.
Walk-in appointments cannot be accommodated.
We appreciate your cooperation.
Check back for news and important dates regarding 701 CCA Prize 2018
701 CCA Prize Guidelines
The 701 CCA Prize, organized by 701 Center for Contemporary Art in Columbia, S.C., is an art competition and exhibition for young professional South Carolina artists. The project’s purpose is to identify and recognize artists 40 years and younger whose work is exemplary in its originality, shows awareness of artistic developments and is of high artistic merit. The 701 CCA Prize will be awarded to one artist for outstanding art production.
The Prize Package
The 701 CCA Prize winner will receive:
A six-week, paid residency at 701 CCA;
Consultation services from a professional advertising and marketing firm;
An ad in a national art publication;
A solo exhibition at 701 CCA.
The application fee is $25, which must be included with the completed application.
Summary of Procedures
An independent jury of three art professionals will select three finalists for the 701 CCA Prize based on, first, artistic merit as shown through provided images and, second, supporting materials about the applicants’ art production and career. The three finalists will be included in the 701 CCA Prize exhibition at 701 CCA. Works by each finalist for the 701 CCA Prize exhibition will be selected by a 701 CCA curatorial team.
The 701 CCA Prize winner will be selected from the three finalists by the independent jury based on the artists’ applications. The 701 CCA Prize winner will be announced during the 701 CCA Prize Celebration.
Eligible artists must:
- Currently live in South Carolina;
- Be a professional artist 40 years or younger.
- Have had or have a solo exhibition in a museum, art center, commercial gallery or a designated gallery space in a cultural facility (exhibitions in venues that are, as determined by 701 CCA, not professional art institutions and/or primarily an art institution, such as restaurants, coffee shops, stores, bars, etc., are not eligible);
- Have an available body of work in one or more visual art medium/media, substantially enough to fill approximately one-third of the 2,500 square feet gallery space at 701 CCA. In case of performance art work, high quality DVD representations of past performances must be available. Performance artists will be required to provide a schedule of no less than 3 public performances during the exhibition period. In case of site-specific installation art, artists must be willing and able to create a site-specific installation at 701 CCA for the 701 CCA Prize exhibition.
- Agree to deliver art works selected for the 701 CCA Prize exhibition with requested paper work to 701 CCA.
- Be available to attend the opening reception of the 701 CCA Prize exhibition AND the 701 CCA Prize celebration during which the 701 CCA Prize winner will be announced.
Required Application Materials
To apply, the following materials must be provided on Submittable, USB, DVD or CD unless otherwise noted:
1. The completed and signed Application Form. (Hard Copy)
2. Ten (10) high-quality, digital images, 300 dpi or more (visual and craft artists) or 3 videos (media and performance artists) of art works completed. The images must show art works strongly related to what would be available for the 701 CCA Prize exhibition.
3. The images or videos must be accompanied by a completed Checklist Form. The information in the image documents headers must first list the artist’s last name, then the number corresponding to the image’s number in the checklist, then the checklist information.
4. Documentation of one solo exhibition fitting the criteria described under “Eligible Artists.”
The solo exhibition documentation MUST include:
a). A completed Solo Exhibition Documentation Form signed by the artist AND the director, board chair, owner or other person in charge of the art venue where the exhibition took place. (Hard Copy)
b). An original invitation to the solo exhibition (Hard Copy).
c). Gallery installation shots, reviews, exhibition brochures, publications, articles, etc., that document the solo exhibition.
5. A resume/CV.
6. A bio of no more than 300 words.
7. An artist’s statement of no more than 300 words addressing the applicant’s general artistic vision and how this vision applies to his or her art production, as shown in the images included with the application.
8. A check for $25 made out to “701 CCA.”
Questions: Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (803) 319-9949